Ever since day one, I've never had a firm grasp on what the heck URL
reversing can do.  I understand the concepts involved, even the admin
namespacing that can occur with different admin sites, and I know that
the admin uses it regularly, but it seems like a crazy unpredictable
wildcard when I try to use it manually.

For instance, I'm trying to get the permalink decorator to work on a
"get_absolute_url()" method on my model, and I haven't got the
slightest clue what the hell it's doing.  I'm getting errors about it
not being able to reverse it properly when I try to click on the admin-
generated "View on site ->" link from the change form.  It says that
it can't find the view.

Basically, I've tried making the method refer to the view object, a
view name as a string (explicitly setting the name in the url conf),
an absolute module-path string ("myproject.myapp.views.my_view"), and
nothing works.  It can never find it, even on a view with just a
single required keyword argument.

Is there any amazing breakdown on how to better wrap my brain around
how this url reversing thing works?  I typically don't think of myself
as an idiot, but I really cannot even begin to feel like I can use it
proficiently.

Thanks in advance.