Yeah, production servers aren't really very friendly to changes.
Languages like PHP are specifically built to circumvent such woes.
You would have to actually bounce apache in order to get the changes
to take.

This is why the development server is so nice, because when you alter
certain files that it watches, it actually restarts automatically for
you.  There's not really going to be a solution for this problem,
since this is inherent to production-class web servers, where PHP and
general CGI is the exception.

Hope that's not a big problem!

I still liked to run a production server version of my project, so I
made a local SVN repository which I would commit changes to.  I
checked out a copy of the repository to where my production server
wanted to see it, and then put up a clumsy cron job would
automatically update the production machine's repository each day, and
bounce Apache for me.

That's about as close as it'll get, I think :P

Tim