2009/11/25 Tomasz Zieliński <tomasz.zielin...@pyconsultant.eu>:
> That patch is a hack that requires modifying live instance of Django,
> moreover I don't know what is influenced by it as I'm not that
> familiar
> with inner workings of model layer, so using it would be troublesome
> for me.
>
> So it seems that I have to write custom delete()s, using raw SQL..

There's a lot of tickets about the problems caused by implicit
cascaded deletes. Your use-case I think is new however (though, I've
been planning to use views myself...). You might want to collect all
of the "delete cascades" tickets and add your use-case to the most
relevant of them, mark all the rest as duplicates then tell the
developer-list.

Fixing this *is* on the roadmap for 1.2:
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/Version1.2Features
but: it has the lowest priority so there's room for you to step in.

Now for database views, what we really need is a way to mark that a
model is read-only/should never be updated in any way from/via django.

HM