It's meant to be done through an SVN checkout, since that's the format
that the Django development repository is kept.

If you haven't got SVN, I'd start there.  If you're on Windows, the
"nicest" solution is "tortoisesvn", which integrates pretty simply
into the Windows shell for easy right-click controls.  If you've got
some form of Unix, then you'll have to decide if you've already got
the commandline client program.

If you've got SVN under your belt, then you're pretty much already
almost there.  If you're using the command line, you'll have to
navigate to your repository, and then use:

    patch -p0 < /path/to/patch.diff

If you're using that Windows "TortoiseSVN", you can right-click the
repository folder, and use the menus to find the "Apply patch"
command.  Just locate it and it should be done.

There are some complications with command line patching where file
renames are involved.  Hopefully your patch is pretty simple.  There's
quite a bit of info in the blog circles about this stuff, so you can
find more specifics by searching online.

Tim