After much struggling on this same topic, I found that autocomplete
was by far better than a dropdown or a set of chained dropdowns.  I
looked at a variety of jquery autocomplete packages, and eventually
settled on this one, which has worked very well for me:

http://loopj.com/2009/04/25/jquery-plugin-tokenizing-autocomplete-text-entry/

It is unfortunately maintained in a somewhat haphazard way (as you'll
see from the blog that that link takes you to).  But on firefox at
least, I find that the 1.1 verson works fine.  It has the nice feature
that the user can put in multiple entries.  For example, in my case, I
have an autocomplete field where teh user needs to be able to enter
one or more names of users, and this package allowed that whereas the
standard one on the jquery site only allowed you to enter one.

Margie