Reading through some discussions on this mailing list and elsewhere, I
saw a lot of material on mysql case sensitivity and collation.

Consider the following situation: -

Suppose my app allows users to create the states / provinces in their
country. Just for clarity, we are considering only ASCII characters
here.

In the US, a user could create the state called "Texas". If this app
is being used internally, let's say the user doesn't care if it is
spelled "texas" or "Texas"

But importantly, the system should prevent creation of "texas" if
"Texas" is already in the database.

If the model is like the following:

class State(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=50, unique=True)

The uniqueness would be case-sensitive in postgres, that is, postgres
would allow the user to create both "texas" and "Texas" as they are
considered unique.

What can be done in this situation to prevent such behavior. How does
one go about providing case-INsenstitive uniqueness with Django and
Postgres