I want to design a site to replace an existing one running on my
client's Windows 2008 server.

Currently, external users are given manually generated basic auth login
credentials to view their own directory on the server. It is running
Apache 2.2 and there is zero html and no database.

The documents in the customer directories are pdf consignment notes and
delivery dockets which form a rudimentary proof of delivery system.

The new requirement is for external users to have a search facility for
documents in their own branch of the directory tree. For example, the
customers know some or all of the filename (document numbers are in the
filenames) and want to go directly to the pdf file. They also know the
date (perhaps roughly) of a document.

The documents are produced by a separate system and just appear in the
customer directories. There is no way to actively link that production
event with a new app.

I'm not sure what to do.

Is there a way to treat the Windows directory structure like a database?

If so, is that a Django thing or just Python?

I like the URLConf potential for a customer to type in the base URL, a
slash and a fragment of the document name to trigger a direct display if
there is only one search result but a list if there is more than one.

Thanks for any ideas

Mike