The current best tool for this is South: http://south.aeracode.org/

You can do complicated data and database migrations smoothly, with the ability
to roll-back changes.
I don't know why you mention changing table names, since that should never be
necessary. But anything is possible.

If you're doing "major" changes, defined (by me) as creating a new thing (field
or table, A.K.A. attribute or model), moving data out of an existing thing into
it, then deleting the original thing, you'll want to carefully read and
understand South's excellent strategy for doing this;
http://south.aeracode.org/wiki/Tutorial3

All your normal stuff, such as adding attributes to models, changing properties
(required or not, default values, and so on) are a piece of cake with South.

Shawn