Thanks! My comparison of Django and Ruby on Rails was definitely more
subjective than objective. Although I read several good articles that
had more objective metrics to compare Ruby and Python speed, I did not
run those kinds of tests myself. My approach was more about gathering
the information that was already out there - both online and from
professional contacts - parsing it, and formulating some high-level
thoughts on the differences between the two so I could make a decision
for our site. I can say that our Django implementation is
significantly faster than the CakePHP prototype I had initially built.
We attribute most of that to being able to easily run simultaneous
threads in Python for pulling in content.

Our infrastructure requirements are actually not that high right now.
By using Python's built-in threading to gather content and CouchDB to
quickly store and retrieve it, we're keeping resource requirements at
a minimum. We do plan to upgrade to the cloud at some point, but for
now we are on SliceHost, monitoring performance to determine when to
upgrade.

- Jason