On Dec 21, 7:12 am, Jesaja Everling <jeverl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I'm wondering how expensive it is in terms of processing power to use
> the django.contrib.markup filters for displaying blog posts instead of
> storing pre-rendered HTML in a db field.
> The Pinax blog application makes use of these markup-filters to render
> HTML on the fly, for example. I assume that especially with caching
> enabled this won't pose a problem, but it still might be advisable to
> store pre-rendered HTML once a new blog-post is saved.
> Does the reStructuredText filter introduce noticeable overhead or is
> it negligible?

This question always generates a lot of heat when it crops up on sites
like reddit and digg, so you are bound to get a lot of varied and
strongly held opinions.

The only way you are really going to know is to take some benchmarks
and see what the difference is, then you have to decide if the
overhead is too great for your specific application and site. The
overhead is probably acceptable for a great majority of sites, but
only you should decide that for yourself.

I almost always pre-render it and save it in the database. On my site,
my content is going to be read many, many orders of magnitude more
than it is written, so I just get the conversion from markup to HTML
over with once. It's a trade-off between database space and CPU, and
one that I am very willing to make given my circumstances of my site
and my applications. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Best,
BN