On Dec 23, 2009, at 7:43 PM, Dattatreya M wrote:

> 1. @Shawn, Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you taking time to answer.
>
> 2. I am going through the Django tut....I was wondering if there is something
> else that would save me hours of 're-inventing' the wheel (with regards to
> designing websites using Django). (cook book/ for 'dummies' kind of a thing/
> etc...??)
>
> 3. By UI design, I mean, those flashy websites that people make. As it is, I
> write code to manipulate data. For the first time I am hosting a page for the
> world to access one of my statistical models. How do I make those
> flashy-flashy things..
>
> Regards,
> Datta.

Well, Django lets you do anything you can do with any other server-side
language. If you want to add animation and stuff like that, that's not Django.
Nor is it PHP, ASP, or any other language or framework. You might want to look
into Flash. Django doesn't make the "look and feel" of your site. It serves up
the data. Even things like JavaScript are outside of Django's domain.

It sounds to be like you aren't really looking for Django, but maybe something
like Dreamweaver. The stuff you call "re-inventing the wheel" is what I call
"learning to program." You have to copy what others have done to learn how it
works, so you can then adapt it for yourself.

However, if your statistical models exist in a database, and you'd like a
friendly ORM [1] to use to write the logic behind your Web site, then I
wholeheartedly recommend Django (and this mailing list). If you already have
all the "programming" done and just want to make a pretty user interface and
bells and whistles, look into Flash, jQuery, and Dreamweaver.

Shawn

[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-relational_mapping