I have close to 600 users split by 20 or so offices. We have a
helpdesk form (using ModelForm) which displays an initial user list
based on the office, or no users if an office is not selected.

An AJAX function on the front end dynamically changes users in the
drop-down based on the office selection. An admin can change the
office which will display a new set of users to choose from.

Everything is fine till it comes to django validating the form. Since
the user selection coming in for processing may not have been one of
the initial choices, I keep getting the dreaded "That choice is not
one of the available choices" error.

I can hack this up by first sending all users to the field, then
erasing and resetting the display on the front end but would like a
more "standard" solution.

Using clean_user(self) does not work - I can throw errors from there
but don't seem to have a way to tell django "this value is OK,
dammit!"

??