I use a custom signal in my Django app in signals.py:

my_project/
  my_app/
    signals.py
    views.py

In views.py, if I do 'from signals import my_custom_signal' and send
the signal, everything is fine.
However, if I do 'from my_app.signals import my_custom_signal' and
send the signal, it never arrives at the signal handler, no error
message, nothing, just fails silently.

IMO, either the signal should work both ways, no matter how it was
imported - or - my_custom_signal.connect(...) should fail, so I know I
am doing something wrong.