On Friday 08 Jan 2010 7:37:33 am Mike Ramirez wrote:
> > I have a client using webfaction. I had set up a django app there 3 years
> > back. It runs on a particular version of django that I had set up. I have
> >  not had occasion to touch the code (or even ssh to the host) for more
> > than 6 months now. On occasion my client gets 'nginx bad gateway' error.
> > It seems to happen fairly often now - perhaps once a month. Since we are
> > only given an apache instance, the nginx error is obviously on their
> > side. Usually the site comes up even before a complaint can be filed. 2
> > days back this happened. Client complained to me - I asked them to
> > complain to webfaction. And to my surprise I find the support person
> > says: there is an error in your code. How and nginx bad gateway error
> > appears from my code when I have not touched it for 6 months is not
> > explained. Anyway before I could ssh in and look at the code, the site
> > came up again. Has anyone else experienced these problems - first time I
> > have seen such a casual answer from webfaction!
> >

> I've seen that error when apache isn't running for the client/domain.
>
> The only thing I can think of is to monitor the memory usage for the
>  client.  If it grows too much then web factions script will shutdown the
>  apache instance. Normally I see this when I'm working in the shell, the
>  site will shutdown (technically all the users process are killed),
>  restarting apache or waiting on the cron script will 'fix' it.  Though,
>  your client should be getting emails from web factions script stating the
>  memory usage is too high. Check with them for such emails (or the email
>  the account is registered with at webfaction).

yes. I had this memory problem at the beginning - then my client upgraded his
memory and we also set a cron job to restart apache every 20 minutes (that is
stop and start - not just restart). And everything was fine. No more monday
morning mails about memory usage. It is possible that the 'upstream proxy
server' that nginx mentions in the 'bad gateway' message is my apache
instance. But so far have not been able to check out whether it is down,
because by the time I get the message from my client the site is up again.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves