thanks very much.
it seems self.instance always exists but its pk(id) is None when it's an add and not None when it's modification.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Roseman" <dan...@roseman.org.uk>
To: "Django users" <django-users@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 9:27 PM
Subject: Re: Form Validation in Admin

On Jan 11, 3:24 am, "Sasuke" <zhouj...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
I'm using the form's clean() method to do validation for models in admin. The validation we need to do is to make sure there are no more than a certain number of items totally submitted. So I calculate the total number of items in the clean() method and check whether it is in the given range. But the exact total number is difficult ot get because I don't know whether the newly submitted form'data is a modified item that is already submitted or it's a newly added item. So is there any way in the clean() method to know whether the form's data is a newly added item or a modified one?
Thanks to all.

Check the value of self.instance. If it exists, and it has a pk, then
it is a modification rather than an add.
--
DR.