Hi,

in my Django application I need a way to track logged users presence.

User gets an 'online' status when he/she logs in and 'offline' status
when logs out, it's pretty simple. But what is the best way to handle
non-logged-out sessions? One need to periodically check all sessions
on last activity age and make some decisions depending on that age -
i.e. set user status to 'away' of 'offline'.

I wouldn't like to use cron, as running full python execution stack is
quite expensive in terms of performance. For the same reason I don't
like to run this code on [every] request handlers.

Seems to me like better solution would be to use some outer deamon or
deamon-like proces that would handle this functionality. I've googled
out at least 2 solutions for that - django-cron (http://
code.google.com/p/django-cron/) and a standalone Django Cron Jobs
Daemon (http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/1348/).

What is a better way or I missed something else?

Thank you