On Jan 19, 12:49 pm, Sam Barnes <s...@avantrural.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody have any experience using django-sproutcore (code found
> here:http://github.com/sproutcoreisyournewbicycle)
>
> I've spent a several hours trying to figure out how to connect it all
> together but can't quite figure it out. The code looks usable but
> there's no documentation...

The server side seems to work (at least, you can access it manually
via HTTP). The client side seems to be broken. The SproutCore backend
raises an exception when you execute a query.

I haven't tried to fix it, though, because SproutCore has much more
apparent problems ATM. For example, in Firefox 3.5 scroll bars are
missing, the browser pauses/freezes for a short amount of time while
scrolling or when clicking anywhere on the background, and the layout
is broken:
http://groups.google.com/group/sproutcore/browse_thread/thread/d41cddf123ee4591/ef294bf53bc5a5c9

Also, django-sproutcore doesn't look very useful in its current state.
Ideally, you should be able to formulate queries with filters in
SproutCore which get passed to Django, checked if they're secure
(e.g., some filters might only be allowed for certain users), and then
executed. I haven't thought about how to solve this in detail, yet,
but we'd like to work on this and if someone needs this, too, and
wants to help we could share the work.

First we'll have to finish our Django non-relational DB support
branch, though, and we also don't want to work with SproutCore as long
as it has those apparent Firefox bugs and the developers keep ignoring
them.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald

--