On 29 Jan, 09:52, Odd <o...@her-e-me.com> wrote:
> On 29 Jan, 09:08, Odd <o...@her-e-me.com> wrote:
>
> > >You originally say the model1
> > > has a foreign key to model2 - I interpret that to mean that the
> > > ForeignKey is defined on model1. However, your code references
> > > model1.model2_set - which would imply that the FK is defined on
> > > model2, pointing to model1. So, do you want the objects that are
> > > pointed to by FKs from objects in the initial list, or the ones that
> > > FKs in the initial list point to?
>
> > > return_list = Model1.objects.filter(model2__in=model2_list)
>
> > Sorry, the ForeignKey is defined on model2. I need to get all the
> > model1 objects that is in the given modelList and is used as a
> > foreignkey in a model2 object. Your suggestion assumes that the input
> > is a model2_list, but the modelList is model1 objects.
>
> Figured it out. This seems to be the solution:
>
> return_list=Model1.objects.filter(model2__in modelList).distinct()

Hmm...

After a little testing, this is not what I wanted, some of the model1
objects in the return_list was not in the provided modelList, and I
dont't quite understand why they are returned. As stated before, I
want to get  a distinct list of all model1 objects that is in a
provided list and is used as a foreignkey in any model2 object. Is
this doable?

Thanks.