No i have processors, i have all the data i need in the template, i just
don't know an elegant way to condition out menu items.

This is how my model works

ACCESS_CHOICES = (
    (1,  "Public"),
    (10, "Private"),
    (100,   "Staff"),
    (1000,  "System")
)

class Menu(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=16)

class MenuItem(models.Model):
    menu = models.ForeignKey(Menu)
    access = models.IntegerField(choices=ACCESS_CHOICES)

class MenuSubItem(models.Model):
    item = models.ForeignKey(MenuItem)
    access = models.ForeignKey(MenuSubItem)

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 5:31 AM, Shawn Milochik <sh...@milochik.com> wrote:

> I think you've missed context processors, which is easy to do. I'm assuming
> that your issue is that you want to have something passed in the context on
> every page load to do something like decide which menu items are available
> based upon whether the user is logged in, their privileges, or whatever.
>
> Context processors allow you to define a dictionary that gets appended to
> the context of every response you send, so you can have that common stuff
> there.
>
> 1. Write code to get the values appropriate for the current user or
> whatever. Put these in a Python file in your app.
> 2. Add that file to the TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS in your settings.py.
> 3. Replace Context() with RequestContext() in your render_to_response
> calls.
>
> If I've missed your actual point, please give more detail. I think this
> simplifies what you're trying to do.
>
> Shawn

"The UNIX system has a command, nice ... in order to be nice to the other
users. Nobody ever uses it." - Andrew S. Tanenbaum