On Friday 05 February 2010 10:44:42 John DeRosa wrote:
> I'm building a site that will include using lots of image files, audio
>  clips, and video clips. Including users uploading these things and then
>  later referencing them.
>
> I don't want to store this binary data in the database, but instead want to
>  store them in disk files.
>
> I've looked for a Django app that manages flat files, and can't find one.
>  By "manage," I mean functions like organizing the directory into a
>  year/mo/date (for example) structure, returning filenames for new data to
>  be recorded into a database table, and returning the binary data given a
>  link. This stuff isn't rocket science, but I'd rather not code it from
>  scratch.
>
> Anybody know of an suitable application for this?

It's built in.

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/file-uploads/

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/files/storage/

Between those two docs, you should be able to do everything you want.  AFAIK,
no file uploads are stored directly in the database, though there is a model
behind it, it stores the path,.

Mike

--
"Nominal fee". What an ugly sentence. It's one of those things that
implies that if you have to ask, you can't afford it.