I'm building an order entry and tracking system for a Food Co-op for
their case and special orders.  We don't need the system to be on-line
(at the moment), but many of the system requirements are already
present in many existing e-commerce solutions (product catalog/search,
order entry screens, order tracking/history, etc.)

Initially, I was thinking of building the system from scratch using
web2py or Django.  (The RoR Spree project looks pretty interesting,
too - but I'm already writing a product/customer ETL in Jython and
don't want to balance the two languages - both Python and Ruby are new
to me.)  Web2py doesn't have any existing e-commerce project, so that
lead me to look at Django/Satchmo.  I'm guessing the Satchmo
customization necessary is probably on the order of 20-30%.

The question is whether that 20-30% customization is going to be more
of a headache than rolling my own clean order-entry and tracking
system with nothing extra I don't need.  Has anyone had a similar
experience they can share?  I would be especially interested in
anyone's experiences with customizing/extending Satchmo.

Thanks in advance for any tips.