On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 08:30:05 -0800, Achim Domma wrote:

> Hi Kev,
>
> thanks for the hint. Trying different solutions I introduced indeed a
> typo. Now I can see the username and is_authenticated works as expected.
> But still curious: Is there a good reason, why I have to pass
> RequestContext each time? Whenever I'm using Django and having the
> feeling to violate DRY, there's usually a better solution. I'm quite
> surprised that it's not the case this time!?
>
> cheers,
> Achim

Hello Achim,

I'm glad it's working for you now.

I don't know the original reason for having to use RequestContext; there
is a hint in bug #650 that authentication wasn't thought to be a
common enough use case to justify the processing overhead of making
RequestContext available by default.

The idea of adding RequestContext to render_to_request by default was
considered for 1.1 but special-cased, apparently because consensus could
not be reached.  Search the Django Developers list if you want the details.

All the best,

Kev