got some of this working, i'll leave this here so the next guy that
searches can find some info

install flatpages and comments, that much is easily found in the
django docs

flatpages comes with a field for enabling comments per flatpage, I'm
not sure how that control works yet this info below seems to ignore
that checkbox...

I just added these tags to my flatpage default.html template and then
flatpages show comments, adds a form to post a comment, that's all i
need for the moment i'm not doing this on a public site anyway

loads tags so you can use them

{% load comments %}

loads comments for the flatpage

{% get_comment_list for flatpage as comment_list %}
{% for comment in comment_list %}
{% endfor %}

loads a form to submit new comments

{% render_comment_form for flatpage %}