I have an unusual Django application. I was wondering if someone could
offer advice to the best way to handle a requirement. This isn't a
standard application (and might not even seem like a good use of
Django, but that's beside the point.)

Redhat, Python 2.4, Django 1.1, mod_wsgi.

In a view, I need to open a socket, send a message to a piece of
hardware,then close the socket and return the view. However, the
hardware takes n milliseconds to do its thing, and if the socket
closes while its doing its thing (even if its received its entire
message), it stops what its supposed to do, which is bad.

The hardware is fire and forget. It doesn't return a response. There's
no need to keep the view waiting, except I need to keep that socket
open so it continues.

As a stopgap meaure, I've just been using time.sleep to hold the view.
This works, but its hideous.

I tried running all the socket communication in a seperate deamon
thread, but this didn't change anything. When the view returned, the
socket closed, the hardware stopped.

What is a better solution to this problem? Actually, I feel like I
can't solve it because I lack an understanding at what's happening
where Django touches Apache and I'd like to fill that gap, so in
addition to help with this particular problem, descriptions of what's
going on at apache/mod_wsgi process level and how that interacts with
me spawning threads etc (or pointers to docs) would help me out and be
appreciated.