When you include the to_field, it tells Django that you want the foreignkey
to be the to_field on the CustomerProfile. It then looks for a field called
payment_id (following the foreignKey relationship). This is normal.

If you remove the to_field, it will choose the primary key of
CustomerProfile which is probably an AutoField. Then it will look for
CustomerProfile_id which is a field that DOES exist.

The point of the ForeignKey option is to link one model to another one *via
the primary key*. You don't link to a random field in the model, you always
link to the primary key.

Does that make sense?

-Tim