When in doubt, always refer to the docs -
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/models/options/
There may be something small overlooked.

You shouldn't have to re-sync the database to use verbose_name.  It's
just a hook to be used for example, in the model's meta options.  Give
us more detail about your model for further help.