To add a group from the API, you can do this:

from django.contrib.auth.models import User,Group

# Get or Create the Group (I <3 this method)
mygroup, created = Group.objects.get_or_create(name='Web Design')

# Add fakeuser to group
myuser = User.objects.get(username='fakeuser')
myuser.groups.add(mygroup)

Matt