Just a quick idea off the top of my head before going to bed :)

def save(self, *args, **kwargs):
        super(MyModel, self).save(*args, **kwargs) # Call the "real"
save() method.
        timestamp = os.path.getmtime(self.my_image_field.path)
        if datetime.datetime.now() - timestamp < VERY_SMALL_DELTA:
                process_image(self.my_image_field.path)