also checkout buildout which does a similar thing to virtualenv but
also allows you to specify the exact interpreter and all
dependencies / eggs / apps and installs those.

it makes development very portable since you can quickly set up the
exact same environment (including a specific python interpreter)

http://jacobian.org/writing/django-apps-with-buildout/