That could be done with Django using middleware, like with
django-maintenancemode. Only instead of using settings file, the setting
could be saved into database, and turned on and off in admin. The middleware
reads the setting (preferably cached), and if maintenance mode is on,
returns 503 error page with maintenance message. If setting is not on, the
request is handled normally.

Whether this would be preferable to using the server, I do not know.

--Jukka