On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 6:07 AM, BobAalsma <b...@leaddevice.com> wrote:

> I get a TypeError at Post from the admin interface and I suspect this
> is connected to my key definition, but couldn't find documentation on
> this.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Error message:
> TypeError at /admin/LeadDeviceSysteem/vraagcomponentinhoud/add/
> coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, VraagComponentModel found
> Request Method: POST
> Request URL:
> http://127.0.0.1:8000/admin/LeadDeviceSysteem/vraagcomponentinhoud/add/
> Exception Type: TypeError
> Exception Value:        coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer,
> VraagComponentModel found

This coercing exception is almost always due to an incorrect __unicocde__
method definition. A __unicode__ method must return unicode (or string or
buffer, which can be coerced to unicode). Instead this one is returning a
VraagComponentModel:

[snip]
> class VraagComponentInhoud(models.Model):
>        componentModel = models.ForeignKey(VraagComponentModel)
> [snip]
>        def __unicode__(self):
>                return self.componentModel

If you want to return the unicode representation of that ForeignKey, you
need to return unicode(self.componentModel).

Karen