You might want to look at memcache_status.  It uses a one line
statement in admin.py to switch to admin to use a different template
for its main page.  Then, the custom template extends admin/index.html
to insert extra information (including graphs) at the top of the
page.  That should give you some ideas.

http://github.com/bartTC/django-memcache-status