Ben Gerdemann wrote:

> I am using "manage.py testserver" and Selenium to drive the browser.

Therefor you are running thru the real webserver, not its mock.

And, incidentally, most testing effort should be in unit tests -
Selenium should _only_ test the last mile of integration, where stuff
like JS and Flash come together. Unit tests can trivially use
assert_mail(), available here:
http://github.com/cuker/django-test-extensions/blob/master/src/test_extensions/django_common.py
, to test mail into that mock inbox.

> It would be nice of the testserver also used the dummy outbox, but at
> a minimum I think the documentation should be clearer and perhaps give
> a better example?

Get a cheap SMTP implemention, such as Python's own library, and set
up a dummy email server. But, again, you are literally throwing good
money after bad without unit tests. That's why the documentation
assumed you started there.

--
  Phlip