On 29/03/2010 7:50am, Guillermo wrote:
Hi,

I'm working on a project with multiple programmers for the first time,
and I'm not sure how I should go about commiting the Django project's
setting file to the public repo. Since it can contain sensitive data,
how's this done usually so everybody works with the same settings
during development?

Guillermo

I write a little fetcher method which runs inside settings.py so I don't have to put credentials in the repository.

I keep all credentials in separate files in a credsdir and call settings.getcreds() for anything I need inside Django. credsdir still needs to be invisible in the filesystem to every user except the http server - chmod 700. If something was seriously sensitive you could use SSL/TLS and get your credentials from a secure server.

credsdir = '/srv/www/' + APP + /creds/'
creds =credsdir + APP +'.cred'
def getcreds(fname=creds):
    #The first line of creds is user, next is password
    fh = open(fname,'r')
    cred = [fh.readline().strip(), fh.readline().strip()]
    fh.close()
    return cred

You choose your location according to location of your devs.

Mike

Cheers,
Guillermo