> I am entering them on the same page otherwise I will have to note down
> the ids of people and publications table and then go to bridge table
> and insert the ids there. So the reason I want to enter in the same
> page is I will insert the ids into bridge table whenever I click save.
> I am not allowed to change the db design by the way and it sucks :)

Does this not work the way you expect?

class People(models.Model):

    .... other fields

    publications = models.ManyToManyField('Publication',
                                    through='PeoplePublication',
                                    )

class Publication(models.Model):

    .... other fields

class PeoplePublication(models.Model):

    people = models.ForeignKey('People',...)
    publication = models.ForeignKey('Publication',...)

in admin.py:

class PublicationInline(admin.TabularInline):
    model = PeoplePublication
    extra = 1

class PeopleAdmin(admin.ModelAdmin):
    inlines = [PublicationInline]

admin.site.register(People, PeopleAdmin)