I reinstalled XCode to include 10.4 support and tried again, and
MySQLdb is now installed, but now I get this:

File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/
site-packages/django/db/backends/mysql/base.py", line 13, in <module>
    raise ImproperlyConfigured("Error loading MySQLdb module: %s" % e)
django.core.exceptions.ImproperlyConfigured: Error loading MySQLdb
module: dlopen(/Users/bduncan/.python-eggs/MySQL_python-1.2.3c1-py2.6-
macosx-10.3-fat.egg-tmp/_mysql.so, 2): Symbol not found:
_mysql_affected_rows

Can anyone point in the right direction on this?