On May 7, 2014, at 2:58 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 11:03 PM, Terry Zink <tz...@exchange.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> This is more or less John Levine's suggestion from several days ago: it is a
> whitelist.
>
> Ideas like TPA, ATPS and others are essentially whitelists owned by the
> domain whose mail might get re-signed, versus John's notion of one or more
> master whitelists for all known potential legitimate re-signers (e.g.,
> mailing list operators).

Wouldn't this whitelist be painting a bullseye on listed members, begging
spammers to increasingly target them? In much the same way that many of the
more sophisticated spammers today prefer to exploit legit servers by
compromising user credentials.

No doubt some ML operators have an adequate multi-layered defense between their
lists and the internet and can keep out increasingly motivated hackers. But I
fear that description doesn't apply to the vast majority of operators. It
wouldn't take very many successful attacks before the value of said whitelist
was greatly diminished.

Matt