Scott Kitterman wrote:

> So I hear what you're saying, but it doesn't change my mind.  I guess if the
> large providers think this is useful, then meh, OK,

That would be the guys who receive more than half of the world's email? I would
rank that slightly above "meh", but sure, for small guys it's not yet obvious
what value ARC provides. I'd suggest a wait-and-see approach.

> but I think it's pretty
> clearly not for anyone else and I am a little surprised they don't have
> equally good ways to solve the problem already deployed.

The specific requirement is to be able to see the upstream path of a specific
message, adding authenticatable trace information is the obvious way to do
this. The big guys could have privately agreed and implemented a way to do so,
but:

- they'd then be under pressure to document what they were doing anyway,
- they'd thereby deny themselves access to a body of expertise that's been
helpful in refining the specification,
- they'd deny themselves the direct- and increased-adoption- benefits of uses
of it being developed independently[1], and
- I suspect, they'd like small-to-mid-sized forwarders to adopt it - as it's
they who create much of the grief for DMARC processing - which would not have
been possible if it had remained a private specification.

- Roland

1: As you frequently point out, non-DMARC uses are out of scope here, however
the increased likelihood of their existing in the context of an open standard
rather than a closed one would appear relevant.