The question, is what is the RFC5321.mailfrom is empty? The
RFC7208.MAILFROM is never empty.

SPF verifiers MUST check the "MAIL FROM" identity if a "HELO" check
   either has not been performed or has not reached a definitive policy
   result by applying the check_host() function to the "MAIL FROM"
   identity as the <sender>.

   [RFC5321] allows the reverse-path to be null (see Section 4.5.5 in
   [RFC5321] <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-4.5.5>).  In
this case, there is no explicit sender mailbox, and
   such a message can be assumed to be a notification message from the
   mail system itself.  When the reverse-path is null, this document
   defines the "MAIL FROM" identity to be the mailbox composed of the
   local-part "postmaster" and the "HELO" identity (which might or might
   not have been checked separately before).