This is not related to DMARC.

This is related to our on-prem/hybrid customer base who send email this way:

On-prem --> Office 365 --> Internet

Suppose I want to relay email through the service, and let's suppose I have
provisioned the following domains with Office 365:

1. contoso.com
2. woodgrovebank.com

In order to do this, I have to set up a connector from my on-prem to Office 365
that has either (a) the IP address I am connecting from, or (b) a TLS-based
certificate. What we see a lot of customers doing is relaying from an IP in one
of their connectors and not over TLS (which is permitted) but in the example
above, sending email from cohovineyards.com. They - as an organization - may
own the domain, but it's not provisioned with us. That's the behavior that we
are clamping down on. If you use IP-based connectors, the domain must be
provisioned with us. OR, you can use a TLS-cert based connector if the domain
is not provisioned with us.

We see many customers putting IPs into their connectors and then relaying from
domains that aren't provisioned with us and this causes attribution problems.
For example, two different customers can provision the same IP. These
attribution problems make outbound spam filtering difficult.

> As I read that, it boils down to Microsoft declaring that
> "old style forwarding" is obsolete

There is some truth to that.

-- Terry