Sorry, I wasn't on dmarc-discuss for some reason, looking at the archive:

A. Schulze via dmarc-discuss:

> I like to point to that open topic without any answer I hoped to get
> from Google
>
> simple setup:
> gmail user send with RFC5322.From *@googlemail.com via google using a
> smartphone.
> the user authenticate as *@gmail.com for submission.
> dkim signing domain: header.d=gmail.com
> spf: gmail.com
> dmarc policy for googlemail.com: quarantine
> result: dmarc fail.
>   - should gmail users no longer use RFC5322.From *@googlemail.com?

googlemail.com is definitely "old" and unnecessary, but it shouldn't be
broken.

>   - should gmail users using RFC5322.From *@googlemail.com also
> authenticate the submission as *@googlemail.com?

We've been making changes in this area for other things and may have broken
this, and given the state of change, I don't know if it's still broken or
not.  Also, creating a googlemail.com account is complicated, so it's not
easy for me to test myself.

If it doesn't work for login @gmail.com send from @googlemail.com, but does
for login @googemail.com send from @googlemail.com.  I was able to test and
show that login @googlemail.com and send from @gmail.com for my gmail.com
account works fine.

If you can reproduce an issue, please email me with the actual account
information and headers, so I can try to find logs.

Brandon

>   - or is it simply an issue that such messages are not handled
> correctly at google?
> Any clarification is welcome.
> Thanks!
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > last days I wrote to a address <user at gmail.com>
> > The answer was quarantained as the dmarc check failed.
> >
> > This ist the reply I receved:

> >   Sender: User <firstname.lastname at gmail.com>
> >   From: User <firstname.middlename.lastname at googlemail.com>
> >   To: ... $me
> >
> > So Sender and X-Google-Original-From are "@gmail.com", but From is
> > "@googlemail.com"
> > No idea if the user did something wrong or only hit a common pitfall.
> > Looks like this user may mix two similar addresses with different
> > domainparts while using them as RFC5322.From or SMTP-Auth Username.
> >
> > Maybe the google people could clarify?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andreas