As most of you already know, the DCRUP working group is adding a new signature
algorithm to DKIM.  I have been sending dual rsa-sha256/ed25519-sha256 signed
mail for some time and I have notice an oddity in DMARC reporting.

Typically, I'll see something like this XML snippet:

                <auth_results>
                        <dkim>
                                <domain>kitterman.com</domain>
                                <result>pass</result>
                                <selector>201803r</selector>
                        </dkim>
                        <dkim>
                                <domain>kitterman.com</domain>
                                <result>fail</result>
                                <selector>201803e</selector>
                        </dkim>

The first one is the rsa-sha256 signature and the second, marked fail, is the
ed25519-sha256 signature (I can tell based on the selector).  In all cases
I've checked, the correct (DMARC pass) result was obtained, but I don't think
this is the best way to report it.

RFC 6376 says:

> 3.3.4.  Other Algorithms
>
>    Other algorithms MAY be defined in the future.  Verifiers MUST ignore
>    any signatures using algorithms that they do not implement.

I'm not sure reporting a failure is consistent with "MUST ignore".  In any
case, I think it would be useful to distinguish between DKIM evaluation failed
and not evaluated due to unknown algorithm in DMARC reporting.

Scott K