On 12/01/2013 04:36 PM, Franck Martin wrote:
> Murray,
>
> Raman was talking when the return-path is empty like for bounces.

Right.

> DMARC follows SPF and uses for alignment whatever SPF used to give a
> result. So when there is a return path, this is the domain in the
> return-path (envelope from) otherwise when the return-path is empty
> this is the domain in the helo/ehlo.
>
> From the text below from Raman, which describes the way DMARC works
> accurately, I'm not sure what alternate behavior DMARC should have?

The alternate behavior could be: DMARC alignment rules for
RFC5322.From would apply when there is an RFC521.MailFrom address
available. Otherwise, DMARC falls back to the regular DKIM and/or SPF
identification rules.

See below.

> May be the issue is: "The host in bar.com <http://bar.com> is a valid
> SPF sender for domain foo.com". However I have no idea how you can
> infer this statement programatically. There is no DNS record today
> that allows you to infer it (?).

I may have stated the initial situation slightly incorrectly. I should
have said: the evaluation of the SPF record linked to the HELO/EHLO
FQDN was valid. See, for example:

http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes#helo

In this case, the SPF evaluation based on the HELO/EHLO identification
and linked record is that the email is valid, but the extra DMARC
alignment rules cause a DMARC failure, since the HELO/EHLO domain does
not match the RFC5322.From domain.

If there was no DMARC RFC5322.From alignment rule against the SPF
HELO/EHLO identification in this case, is there a new abuse vector?

Regards,
Raman