>> Since you don't mention it, what about the "mail this article to a
>> friend" use case that has also been mentioned? Is that a problem that
>> should be addressed here? ...

>Franky, that case has always been kind of ick, and is "easily" solved by
>sending From the domain in question (article-nore...@wsj.com).  Granted, I
>don't know how many of those there are and fixing them all is certainly
>annoying work that its bad to force on the world... also, arguably most of
>those shares have been replaced by sharing to the social website of the
>week.

There seem to be rather a lot, since it's a feature on most magazine
and newspaper web sites.  Since you mentioned the WSJ, they use the
user's own address as the From: address (I just checked.)  Some do the
hack you mentioned, but a lot don't.  My college class has a mailing
list, and I sometimes send articles to it from my WSJ account, which
would stop working if they didn't let me put my own address on the
From: line.

Do you have any numbers on how much if any of a spam or phish problem
these things are?  They've never been on my radar, I think because they
do a lot of rate limiting and inbound filtering.  Some also limit it
to subscribers.

Also please keep in mind uses like the school teacher I mentioned
earlier today.  Again, useful, not abusive, and I think there are
likely to be a lot of little setups like his that are now mysteriously
failing.

R's,
John