John Levine writes:

 > >Even if I grant you that (and I'm not sure I do), I also don't
 > >know why OAR is better than AR.
 >
 > I get the impression there are two reasons for OAR:
 >
 > a) A-R is likely to be stripped by intermediate MTAs, OAR isn't.
 >
 > b) whoever suggested OAR didn't understand A-R semantics

You're joking, right?

>From the O-A-R I-D:

   Some sites wish to take into consideration such authentication
   results claimed by trusted intermediaries, effectively extending
   the trusted channel to specific external entities.  Although
   [AUTHRES] includes support for this notion, this separate mechanism
   is simpler, more robust, and requires no changes to existing
   authentication infrastructure.

   Therefore, this document defines a new field called Original-
   Authentication-Results.  The content of the field is identical to
   that specified in [AUTHRES].  This field is required to be unique,
   appearing only once in a message, and thus it is possible to
   determine conclusively whether or not it is included in the part of
   the header covered by a signature.

I think that's clear enough, although you might dispute whether it
actually works as advertised (seems to, to me).  It also seems good
enough for 95% of all mailing list usage, including the "spear-
phishing through an ML" case described earlier.

I wonder if the d, s, i fields in DKIM could somehow be coopted to
create a conventional authserv-id for A-R.  That could make it easy to
identify the "right" A-R in a header with multiple such.  (Ignoring
the case of a 3rd party deliberately introducing fake duplicates,
which would make the message suspect all by itself.)

Regards,