On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <step...@xemacs.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure what the long list of addressees was about, but I'm not
> comfortable with them.  Feel free to repost my message if you wish.
>
> Phillip Hallam-Baker writes:
>
>  > In the medium term, lets kill the stupidity of mailing lists with a
>  > protocol that works. NNTP was originally designed to replace mailing
>  > lists.
>
> GNU Mailman is thinking about this for Mailman 3.  Of course we've
> long had a mostly functional mail-to-news bidrectional gateway, but
> Mailman 3 is considering adding NNTP capability directly to the
> bundled archiver, or perhaps a separate facility resembling an
> archiver as far as Mailman core is concerned.[1]  I don't think this
> has gone anywhere yet, though.

NNTP was designed 30 years ago. We should consider moving on. The
modern protocol world is JSON/REST

>  > It actually works quite well at that. The only problem was the
>  > IT-Dictator mindset that underlies it: newsgroups have to be
>  > approved by the Commune!
>
> Nonsense.  I don't know what the problem that prevented netnews from
> obsoleting mailing lists is, but the alt hierarchy has always been
> available, and GMane proves that you can run a whole alternative NNTP
> network without trouble and with a reasonable amount of resources.  So
> it's not the Cabal's fault (by the way, there is no cabal, in case you
> haven't heard).

Well you don't get the difference between the Web and the Internet then.

We built the web on a model where the individual was empowered. Having
to get a proposal for a newsgroup approved by an amorphous collective
isn't empowering. The lack of clear control does not mean that there
isn't any. It just means that the control is exercised without
accountability.

NNTP was built to save bandwidth, hence the need to manage what data
went where. But we could certainly drop the server-server copy
functions and just declare the mailing lists as site local.

The problem with that approach is that we then have to have accounts
and the single log in problem grows unless we interface to one of the
single log in schemes, all of which have problems.