If a signature has an rsf= tag, verifiers ignore it unless there's a
matching signature from a domain the rsf= points to. ...

If you're going to bump the version, you need to use the opportunity to
solve the more general underlying problem.

I'm not sure I can completely characterize that problem, but it's something
along the times of there need to be some way to state the intention behind this
particular signature. Is this a signature tied to use by third parties?
Whitelisting? Something else?

That's what the rsf is supposed to mean.

I suppose we could factor it out and do a version bump and add a new "conditional signature" cs= field, which means that a verifier only uses this signature if the conditions are met. There's a registry of cs field values, and if there is a cs field whose condition isn't satisfied, or that the verifier doesn't know about, the verification fails.

So it'd be something like this:

That is, the condition is that it's also signed by one of the targets in the forwarding target "ft=" field. ("t" and "c" are the to and cc headers, on the perhaps overoptimistic theory that there will never be single letter TLDs.)

You can safely add new cs values without a version bump, since the verifiers will fail until they've been upgraded to understand them.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY