John Levine writes:

 > >I do not understand this predilection for trying to change the DKIM base
 > >engine.  It doesn't need it.
 >
 > Actually, I claim that a version bump is the approach least likely to
 > break existing clients.

The point is to avoid breaking the anti-spam *system*.  If the system
continues to work (in some appropriate sense) in the presence of
clients "broken" in some sense, that's a win.

 > I think we agree that the goal here is to have a weak signature that
 > verifiers disregard unless it's associated with a delegated signature.
 > Your plan, as I understand it, was that verifiers will ignore a
 > signature that is too weak.  One might argue clients that accept weak
 > signatures are already broken, but in that case there are an awful lot
 > of broken clients, starting with spamassassin.  (I just checked.)

Spamassassin does not pretend to be a DKIM (or DMARC) policy engine,
so of course it "accepts" weak signatures.  It accepts invalid and
nonexistent signatures, too.  By this I suppose you mean that
spamassassin does not distinguish among levels of content coverage of
signatures it detects and verifies, so different spamminess
coefficients can't be assigned?