Douglas Otis writes:

 > After all, DMARC permits the weakest authorization as a basis for
 > acceptance, so it would be misleading to describe DMARC results as
 > having been *authenticated*.

Well, no, it isn't necessarily misleading.  According to RFC 4949,
authentication = identification + verification, while authorization is
a permission to do something.  For example, in DKIM "d=" identifies
the Signing Domain and "b=" + a DNS lookup provides the data needed
for verification.  At that point you have in fact authenticated the
Signing Domain, and with From alignment (and the additional
assumptions that the key is available only to the Author/Signing
Domain and that the Author Domain authenticates users) you have
authenticated the "authorization to use that mailbox in From."  (You
could add a lot more caveats -- there is a lot of attack surface in
email. :-( )  Some similar statement is true for SPF (at least under
favorable conditions :-).  AFAICS authenticating that particular
authorization is precisely what DMARC claims to do, although the I-D
uses different words to say that.

Anyway, AIUI, the question we're trying to address in Milestone One is
how does that affect third parties on the assumptions that (1) mail
receivers are satisfied that DMARC does what they think it does and
(2) such mail receivers respect "p=reject".