On Sun, May 10, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <step...@xemacs.org>
wrote:

>  > This "How do we populate the set?" is "the registration problem".
>  > There are some implicit "safely" and "at scale" adverbs in there
>  > too, just for flavor.
>
> Sure, but even with the adverbs it's not a "problem" for per-message
> delegation proposals like yours and John's.  For those proposals, we
> already have technology in place for incoming messages (eg, Gmail user
> filters) which could easily be applied to collect information from
> incoming messages (and optionally from the users) and add delegation
> fields computed *per user* per *outgoing* message.  It's a *task* with
> *costs* that can be estimated, they're not outrageous, and they
> provably scale because they're already implemented at scale (for
> different purposes).
>
> Those costs may still be too big to be justified by the prospective
> benefits, but we need to come to some consensus on protocols and how
> much risk of abuse they entail before we can estimate benefits, and
> compute benefit/cost ratios.

Right, that's also a benefit of the dual signature approaches: the decision
can be made based upon the characteristics of each message, in theory,
where having to consult with a registry via the DNS implies the
relationship is established for all mail.  In the resigning methods, the
registry, if one even exists, is completely internal and detached from the
protocol.

-MSK